ORLANDO, Fla., Dec. 4, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) (NYSE: BDX), a leading global medical technology company, today revealed several technology innovations to further optimize the entire medication management process at this year’s American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) 2017 Midyear Meeting.
In addition to the recent introduction of the BD HealthSight™ platform for enterprise medication management – which offers a unique combination of connective technologies, analytics and expert services – BD unveiled new capabilities that will help hospitals and health systems drive a more efficient and connected medication management process. Through the company’s unique ability to integrate its leading technologies, such as BD Pyxis™ dispensing and BD Alaris™ infusion solutions – with each other and with the hospital’s EMR – hospitals and health systems can now unlock additional value out of their medication management system.
“Our goal in achieving high-reliability in medication management starts with standardizing practice across the system and leveraging our technology and data to support that practice,” said Debbie Simonson, Pharm.D, vice president, Pharmacy Services at Ochsner Health System. “BD is providing us with a system and infrastructure that our team can utilize to optimize our practice.”
Ranjeet Banerjee, worldwide president of Medication Management Solutions for BD states, “Our aim is to combine our products through technology, services and analytics to make it easier for our customers to deliver safe and efficient care to patients. This integration through the BD HealthSight platform will deliver significant new value to support our customers in meeting their goals in the areas of medication safety, enterprise-wide inventory optimization and clinician productivity.”
Exclusively at the BD booth, conference-goers will receive a comprehensive demonstration of the company’s enhanced solutions that are reinventing the entire medication management process, including:
Enterprise-wide inventory optimization and availability:
- BD HealthSight viewer is an integrated, web-based pharmacy operations dashboard that combines critical data from BD Pyxis dispensing and BD Alaris infusion systems into a single view for pharmacy and nursing. This visibility improves medication availability and efficiency by enabling pharmacy to monitor device and continuous infusion status and proactively respond to needs such as stock-outs and dose requests before they impact nursing and ultimately patients.
- The latest BD Pyxis™ ES software release works with BD HealthSight analytics to enable bi-directional inventory and par level management, helping improve efficiency and ensure availability of medications needed for patient care.
- BD HealthSight analytics and comparative benchmarks coupled with practice improvement services enable hospitals to monitor and proactively address medication inventory needs, reduce waste and provide recommendations for practice improvement.
Improved clinician productivity:
- The latest software release of the BD Pyxis ES system introduces a variety of powerful benefits designed to increase clinician productivity and time spent with patients. In addition to bidirectional inventory level management, the release supports interoperability with both Epic™ and Cerner™ enhanced dispensing as well as the ability to request needed medications from the patient bedside. It also supports increased visibility and efficiency for both pharmacy and nursing through the ability to track medications in transit.
“As an early adopter of the latest BD Pyxis ES system release, we are excited to see the new enhancements and innovations come to life,” said Bruce Latimer, director of pharmacy at Kingman Medical Center. “Not only are we experiencing significant performance enhancements and easy upgrades, we’re also very happy with system interoperability, optimization, user security improvements and how this new software release will help us adopt new simpler workflows and continuously help us evolve and improve medication safety.”
End-to-end medication safety:
- BD is extending its IV compounding safety to a much broader set of IV medications. The new enhancements of the BD Pyxis IV prep (formerly branded BD Cato™), include even more configuration options to support hospital and health systems’ operations. BD Pyxis IV prep raises the bar on patient safety, offering real-time detection of errors for more accurate preparation of IVs.
In addition to displaying a broad range of enhanced solutions, join BD in booth 721 to participate in a variety of BD-sponsored conference activities, including an in-booth speaker theater where hospitals and health systems will share expertise in medication management across the care continuum. See the full schedule, including BD-sponsored CE opportunities, at bd.com/ashp2017.
BD is a global medical technology company that is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD leads in patient and health care worker safety and the technologies that enable medical research and clinical laboratories. The company provides innovative solutions that help advance medical research and genomics, enhance the diagnosis of infectious disease and cancer, improve medication management, promote infection prevention, equip surgical and interventional procedures, and support the management of diabetes. The company partners with organizations around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues. BD has nearly 50,000 associates across 50 countries who work in close collaboration with customers and partners to help enhance outcomes, lower health care delivery costs, increase efficiencies, improve health care safety and expand access to health. For more information on BD, please visit bd.com.
This press release contains certain estimates and other forward-looking statements (as defined under Federal securities laws) regarding potential future sales and product development. Forward looking statements may be identified by use of words such as “will”, “plan”, “believe”, “expect” or other words of similar meaning. All such statements are based upon the current expectations of BD and involve a number of business risks and uncertainties. Actual results could vary materially from anticipated results described, implied or projected in any forward-looking statement. A number of factors could cause actual results to vary materially, including, without limitation, difficulties inherent in product development, delays in product introductions and uncertainty of market acceptance of new products; competitive factors including technological advances and new products introduced by competitors; pricing and market pressures; potential cuts in governmental healthcare spending and measures to contain healthcare costs; adverse changes in regional, national or foreign economic conditions; product efficacy or safety concerns; fluctuations in costs and availability of materials and in BD’s ability to maintain favorable supplier arrangements and relationships; new or changing laws and regulations impacting our business or changes in enforcement practices with respect to such laws; future healthcare reform; as well as other factors discussed in BD’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. We do not intend to update any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof except as required by applicable laws or regulations.
SOURCE BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company)